What is a reflective journal
A reflective journal is a place to note down some of the daily thoughts in life. It can be something good or bad that happened that you want to reflect on, and to learn from the experience.
A reflective journal can also be a way of thinking analytically and critically about the work that you are working on and shows how different aspects of your work interconnects. Reflective journals can record the source of your inspirations, how you developed your work and to better understands your thinking process.
Reason to Write a Reflective Journal
- To understand the things that have happened.
- To reflect as to why something is the way it is.
- To align future actions with your indicated values and experiences.
- To share and get your thoughts and ideas out of your head.
Models of Reflection
Reflection during the different phase of a learning process (Schön, 1983)
- Before the experience
- Think about the things that might happen.
- What are the things that you felt might be a challenge?
- The things that I can do to be prepared for these experiences.
- During the experience
- Observe what is happening at the moment, as you make a particular decision.
- Is what’s happening working out as expected? Are you dealing with the challenges well?
- Is there anything I should do, say or think to make the experience successful?
- What are the takeaways from this experience/lesson?
- After the experience
- Describe your thought immediately after, and/or later when you have more emotional distance from the event.
- Is there anything I would do differently before or during a similar event?
- What did a particularly valuable and why? What have I learnt?
Reflective Journal Prompts
- What makes you unique?
- Name someone that means a lot to you and why?
- Write a letter to your younger self.
- What is something you can do to focus more on your health and wellbeing?
- What makes you feel at peace.
- List 10 things that make you smile.
- What does it mean to live authentically?
- What is your favourite animal, and why?
- How do you maintain your physical/mental health? How can you do to improve the methods of recovery?
- List the things that you want to achieve this week.
There's no time like the present - download Journey app today!