What is a reflective journal?
A reflective journal is a place to write down your daily thoughts in life. It can be something good or bad that happened to you that you can self-reflect and learn from the past experience.
A reflective journal can help you to identify important learning events that had happened in your life. The events include your relationship, career and personal life. By writing a reflective journal, you can find the source of your inspirations that defines you today. A reflective journal also provides a better understanding of your thought process.
Reason to write a reflective journal
- To understand the things that have happened.
- To reflect why it happened this way.
- To align future actions with your values and lessons learned from your past experiences.
- To share and get your thoughts and ideas out of your head.
The models of reflection
Reflection during the different phase of a learning process (Schön, 1983).
Before the experience
- Think about the things that might happen.
- What are the things that you feel might be a challenge?
- The things that you can do to prepare for these experiences.
During the experience
- Observe what is happening at the moment, as you make a particular decision.
- Is it working out as expected? Are you dealing with the challenges well?
- Is there anything you should do, say or think to make the experience successful?
After the experience
- Describe your thoughts immediately after, and/or later when you have more emotional distance from the event.
- Is there anything you would do differently before or during a similar event?
- What are the takeaways from this experience/lesson?
Reflective journal prompts
Here are the 10 writing prompts to guide you in self-reflection and self-discovery.
- What makes you unique?
- Name someone that means a lot to you and why?
- Write a letter to your younger self.
- What is something you can do to focus more on your health and well-being?
- What makes you feel at peace.
- List 10 things that make you smile.
- What does it mean to live authentically?
- What is your favourite animal, and why?
- How do you maintain your physical/mental health? How can you do to improve the methods of recovery?
- List the things that you want to achieve this week.
There's no time like the present - download Journey app today!